Sunday, March 23, 2014

Back with Orangesicle and Lucky Charm Donuts :D

1.5 years since I started this with slightly pointless posts, but I'm now trying to revitalize the Donut Bounty Hunter with a catchier name and more food-centric chronicling (catchier name in progress)! Badjillions of pictures from 2013 sit in my drive and I don't even remember where some of them were taken :( but I'm going to dig those up and hopefully recall some tantalizing details about them, as well  as documenting new food adventures:




Pop up restaurants have been kind of a thing for a while, I guess, and one of Boston's gems is Stephanie Cmar's Stacked Donuts




Like other food stops that have specific items hosted by an ever-changing list of venues, Stacked Donuts has appeared in a few places in the Boston area. Cmar makes 2 or 3 flavors to sell each week beginning mid-morning until sold out. This week was Commonwealth in Cambridge:




I couldn't not check it out, so I ended up in line for about 25 minutes. I hate lines. But the things I'll do for donuts.... At $3 a piece I went for all 3 creations:

 Dark Chocolate Toffee
 Orange Creamsicle
Lucky Charms


All 3 are raised donuts: the toffee was the doughiest one, the best bites were with the large toffee chunks that complimented the dark chocolate icing. An appropriate alternative name would be the Heath bar donut. Very delicious but probably my least favorite of the three:



Orange creamsicle had an orange zest glaze that burst with citrus-y goodness, but the magic was this (vanilla-ish?) filling that had mooooore orangesicle flavor, not as viscous as most custards you'll find, and it turned out to be a great interpretation of an ice cream truck classic. MMMmmmm...childhood.




The donut of the hour, however, had to be the Lucky Charms; granted, it's a weird experience at the first bite because cereal on top of sugary fried dough makes you go "wait whuuuhhhh???" but it turned out to be a welcome crunchy compliment to the fluffy fried dough. Sitting atop the Seuss-like multicolored interior were the classic marshmallows, though I only managed to identify bits of the blue moons, pots of gold, and me red balloons. Despite being the largest of the 3 the Lucky Charms donut wasn't filled, HOWEVER the best part was the center where oily dough converged with this gob of icing, entrapping some charms to make for the best bite of the day (magical center unfortunately not pictured :[ ). 





Mmmm...more childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment