Saturday, March 29, 2014

Tahini in a Donut?

Sofra says F*** YEA WHY NOT?! Just visited this really cozy cafe on the edge of Cambridge, perfect setting for a morning coffee and some homemade breakfasts.





But I came here for the DONUTS, particularly the legendary trio that Sofra only makes on the weekend:



First off, the main reason I walked all the way over here, the tahini brown-butter donut with a salted caramel ganache. To be honest, I'm still not 100% sure what ingredients went into which part of the donut; I say that because I dunno if I really tasted a salted caramel nuance, it was mostly a semisweet chocolate mix with the touches of sesame seeds. Alternatively there could have been some tahini in the ganache? Idk what magical donut sorcery was involved. That doesn't mean it wasn't good! The lovely chocolate ganache bathed the fried dough so beautifully, and the tahini filling surprised me; it wasn't grainy like I had expected - it was a pretty smooth, sweet custard that showcased the distinct sesame tahini flavor.



So....this is a pretty lousy picture for showcasing the actual tahini because I kinda just nommmmed after taking the picture. There was actually WAAY more filling - I have included a figure for reference:






Next up, the Persian spice donut. I have no idea what authentic Persian spice is supposed to taste like; essentially this delicious fluffy bundle of joy tasted like a churro, so................................................persian spice = cinnamon??? O__o ? At any rate, think of certain variations of bunuelos, or shakoy.




And one of the BEST donuts I've ever had, Sofra's pistachio, meyer lemon and rose donut:


Mixing some pretty prominent lemon tartness (not overpowering) in the dough, the unique pistachio aroma and crunch adds a dynamic that's a step above your average glazed. I had a similar donut at Dynamo in SF, but Dynamo's raised pistachio lemon didn't have as rich of a flavor as Sofra's cake version. I didn't pick up a strong rose flavor, but I'm assuming it was mixed in the icing? Either way, Sofra shows that lemon and pistachio are a potent combo. The actual dough was also quite oily, which made it FREAKING DELICIOUS :D This donut may prove to be an invaluable hangover cure.


No comments:

Post a Comment